Thursday, May 8, 2014

Dessert for breakfast?

Anyone that knows me knows that my favourite thing in the world EVER, is breakfast! Heres the thing about me, I NEVER SKIP BREAKFAST.. I simply couldn't. Every night I lay in bed already thinking of what I'm going to eat the next morning. I usually browse online for new healthy recipes I can try. Deciding what to have for breaky is hard when you're told by the doc to stay away from gluten and dairy (basically everything yummy). Although with the emergence of gluten free, paleo, and vegan diets, there are A TON of recipes online that fits to meet numerous special diets.

Everybody loves pancakes, but nobody loves them more than I do. Although after having TIU Pancakes for a week straight, I decided it was time to switch it up. Sooo, i googled searched protein mugcake recipeI stumbled across a recipe posted by user LaurenAOK on a myfitnesspal forum.. DESSERT FOR BREAKFAST? I'm soooo down.

Here's my remake of LaurenAOK's protein mugcakes! I kind of turned it into my own version of aubernutter 's mug pancakes.

Gluten and Dairy Free!

Ingredients:
  • 1 Scoop Vega Protein Smoothie (Viva Vanilla)
  • 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder 
  • 1 tsp -or more depending on your taste- sugar or sugar substitute (I used stevia)
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda (Double if using baking powder)
  • pinch of salt 
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 Tbsp almond milk 
  • 1 Tbsp peanut butter .. or nut butter of choice.

Instructions:
In a mug, Combine all dry ingredients and sift with a fork until well blended (no clumps left!) Add in the almond milk and egg white and whisk until smooth. Add additional water/milk until it reaches cake batter consistency. (Add little by little!)

Microwave for 1 minute on high.. this may take longer depending on your microwave. Poke through the mugcake with a fork to check if it's ready! Once it's ready, slice into small circles and top with hot nut butter!

Top with optional chocolate chips (enjoy life for dairy free) or berries.

Nutritional Information (excluding optional toppings, using stevia):
Calories: 225, Fat: 10g (healthy fats!), Carbs: 11g, Sugar: 3g, Protein: 23g!

TRY IT NOW.. GO!